Contained with a top quality and interesting wooden box, this fabulous double-sided castle top silver card case remains in excellent crisp condition. The scenes depicted are two major English castles: Windsor and Warwick, with both framed and backed to top and bottom with fine, tartan-style engine turned decoration. The quality of this square-edged card case is superb and it has a wonderful feeling in the hand. The condition is simply stunning, in no small way attributable to the wooden box which has protected it. The outside of the box bears a silver presentation shield showing its giving as a 21st birthday present in 1880 - one edge of the case is engraved with a corresponding sentiment. The inside bears an intriguing label regarding the heritage of the oak from which the box was made. A truly terrific card case.
Warwick Castle was built by William The Conqueror in 1068 and overlooks the River Avon from its’ cliff top location. The castle was owned by the Earls of Warwick from 1088 until 1978, the most famous of which was Richard Neville (the 16th Earl also known as the “Kingmaker”) who in the 14th Century imprisoned King Edward IV within the castle. The castle was converted to a country house in the early 17thC, however the impressive four towered fortifications remain largely intact and the castle has been a popular tourist attraction since the mid- 19th Century. The view on this card case is of the East Façade from the River Avon showing the main residences with Caesar’s Tower and Guy’s Tower on the right hand side.
Windsor Castle was the principal residence of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Today, it continues to be one of the official homes’ of Queen Elizabeth II and is the largest inhabited castle in the world. The majority of English monarchs have lived in the castle at some stage and dating back to William the Conqueror (King between 1066 and 1087), is the oldest castle in continuous occupation in the world. The scene shown is the South Wing and is the most famous view of the castle. The flag flying in the centre of the scene indicates that the monarch is in residence.