Pair of Georgian Silver Entree Dishes, 1824
Entree Dishes (pair) - Oblong with Gadroon mounts and Old Sheffield Plate warmer Stands - London 1824 by Richard Sibley - 29cm x 22cm; 4070g combined weight of silver (warmer stands extra) - TR/1669b
These are a fabulous pair of George IV period silver entree dishes complete with original armorials, crests and warmer stands.
Made by the top silversmith Richard Sibley, these fine quality Georgian entree dishes have a really good hefty weight and are in fine condition. They are oblong in form with a bold, gadroon mount around the edges and a handsome scroll decorated removable handle to the top so that the two dishes can be used independently for serving when required.
The entree dishes sit in their original Old Sheffield plate (fused silver on copper) warming stands and these again are of the highest quality with four good, strong legs, two sturdy handles and a tinned interior as one would expect from Sheffield plate of this period. These bases would be filled with hot water to keep the contents of the entree dishes hot whilst being carried to the dining room and standing on the serving table. The internal tinning reduces the conductivity of the warmer stands and so keeps the heat within the water for longer and prevents the handles of the stand becoming too hot.
One each side of both covers is an engraved coat of arms featuring three chessrooks and a crest described as "on a rock proper a martlet". The engraving remains crisp throughout. Each of the six silver components within this suite is appropriately hallmarked to match each other. The condition is excellent and they make a very impressive duo.
The armorials on these entree dishes belong to the Rocke family of Clungunford House in Shropshire and so would have been in the possession of the Reverend John Rocke (1783-1849). He was the Vicar of Wellington and then Rector of St. Cuthbert's in Clungunford. A professional report detailing these arms is available to the buyer.